Saturday, March 31, 2012

Just Like Pita Pit

OK maybe not just like it but pretty damn close
The day my Taste Of Home comes in the mail is one of my favorite days. I love paging through and finding so many recipes that I can do with almost anything I already have in my house. It's so much funner to cook when you have what you need right there. 

Here's a little pita recipe I tried the other night, a new big hit in the Schmidt household. 

1 lb of ground beef (I used turkey meat)
1 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeeze dry
Onions, chopped (I don't use, ew!)
1 can sliced ripe olives, drained
2 tsp, lemon-pepper seasoning, divided
1 large tomato or cherry tomatoes, sliced
1 c. (8oz) fat-free plain yogurt (I usually have plain Greek Yogurt on hand)
1/2 c. reduced-fat mayo
pita bread or salad cups as I found them to be called
Romaine Lettuce
Feta Cheese

I had most of this on hand so only had to pick up the feta, lemon-pepper seasoning, pita bread and the frozen spinach. I'm sure you could sub fresh spinach for frozen and probably chicken for the meat. I also accidentally grabbed goat cheese instead of feta and then forgot to use it, so FYI it's good with no cheese!

Now the best part, only TWO steps. 

1. Cook the meat. Add the spinach, onions, olives and 1 tsp (or to your tasting) lemon-pepper and heat through. Toss in tomatoes and set aside. 
2. Combine the mayo, yogurt and 1 tsp lemon-pepper seasoning. Line pitas with the romaine lettuce, add beef mixture and top with feta. Use yogurt sauce for dipping.

Easy as ordering from Pita Pit! 

No comments:

Post a Comment