Sunday, July 25, 2010

Update From A Mad Runner

Pioneers, 5K and fireworks, Oh My!

What a week! No air conditioning from Sunday night to Wednesday morning and it was a horrible few nights.
.Monday. Leg workout. I took advantage of the clubhouse and the air conditioning. It was a great workout and I was able to do pull ups! I also found a new pair of tennis shoes and broke them in that night.
.Tuesday. 4 mile run. I was able to get up in the morning and do my run. It was amazing, beautiful morning and I think my new tennis shoes helped get me into a good pace.
.Wednesday. 2 miles. Again, I got up early and pushed myself to run this as fast as I could. I finished in 16 minutes, in time to meet up with the air conditioning repair man. He informed us our air conditioning froze over and was blocking all the air coming out! Luckily he was able to get it unfroze before we went to work that morning. It was great to come home that night to a cool house!!
.Thursday. Another 4 mile run. I was not able to get up in the morning and was so tired after work, so I decided to run in the clubhouse that night. I only did a couple miles and laid low the rest of the night.
.Friday. Rest! Not going to do anything! B and I went out for dinner on the patio at Red Rock, it was amazing. We beat the crowd and were home in time to watch a movie and still able to get to bed at a normal time.
.Saturday. 5K day! I found a 5K to do in Provo, UT. Since it was the UT holiday Pioneer Day, there were a couple of races to chose from, but this was the only one that had a 5K race. So, B and I got up early, got a cup of coffee and headed down to Provo. It was a great morning, cool and no wind. This is the first time in over 3 years I ran a road race by myself. The first experience I had was not good, so I was a little nervous. But, B was with me and he helped me keep my cool. I found the location, got my packet and had time to hang out with B before my run. I started out at the end of the pack, I think that this helps with the competitive side of me and pushes me to catch up to people. The run felt great and had some mile markers with supportive words on it to keep me going. Also, they had a surprise about mile 2.5, a man in a kilt playing the bagpipe! It was a hilarious and random site. But after him a nice straight stretch to the finish line. I finished strong and B told me I finished about 28 minutes (my goal was 30). I was happy. We hung out, had some of the breakfast, and I ran into another runner I knew who had just finished the 10K and was waiting for his wife to finish. I wanted to wait and see what the winning time for my age group was. I found the time sheets and I placed 7th in my age group with a time of 27:12! I was so happy! B and I headed back to SLC, stopped at our friends new home (which is amazing!) and then placed a little tennis before we relaxed for the rest of the day.
That night, there was fireworks galore all over town. We were able to watch them from our front porch.
.Sunday. Rest for me. B went for a long bike ride with a friend. Now time for a relaxing rest of our weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment